“An Open Letter to the European Commissioner for Research and Innovation,
A sustained and substantial European investment in cutting-edge Socio-economic Sciences and the Humanities (SSH) can unlock new knowledge and insights that are necessary for Europe
- to overcome inequality, exclusion and poverty and to adapt to demographic change (migration, ageing, gender relations etc.);
- to develop resilient institutions that can strengthen sustainable growth, innovation processes, and social and political participation;
- to exploit cultural diversity as a source for creativity, adaptive capabilities and social innovation;
- to advance our understanding of cognitive processes and create educational opportunities in inclusive and democratic societies;
- to understand the complexity of value systems, worldviews and behavioural patterns, and address issues of openness or resistance to change and
- to move towards successful intercultural dialogue and global diplomacy.
If you agree with the need for SSH to produce policy-oriented research for Europe, and if you wish to see a strong SSH-programme under the new European Framework Programme Horizon 2020 (2014-2020) we invite you to read the Open Letter to the Commissioner and sign it!
The voice of SSH researchers must be heard in the design of the new framework programme. Join your name to the list of colleagues from across Europe and beyond!”